Prayer Stations are interactive experiences with Scripture or devotional prompts. A simple, creative gesture can help us slow down and listen for what God reveals. The gesture likewise opens us to respond.
For me, utilizing the sense of touch in prayer takes me to a child-like place. I’m reminded of a less complicated time- a time of wonder, imagination, and play. It gets me out of my head and into my heart. I’m often surprised by the ease and depth of God’s interaction in these encounters.
This prayer station was designed for the opening night of a women’s retreat. The opening night theme was “Let it go.” It could be used in many other settings as well.
I pray this idea encourages you to set aside some time to meet God in interactive prayer. If you choose to use this idea, or better yet create one of your own, I’d love to hear from you. – Lisa <><
Prayer Station Instructions
Jesus said to them, “Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.”
Be still, and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth.”
- Turn off your phone and leave it in the basket. It will be returned to you at the end of the day.
- Take off your watch, your Fitbit, or anything else you might carry to measure yourself and measure time. Leave it in the basket. It will be returned to you at the end of the day.
- Use the paper and pen to write your to-do list. Write down the things you “should” have done, things you are missing in order to be here, things still to be done
- Write down the burdens you are carrying
- Write down your worries, your concerns
- When finished, fold the paper and write your name on the outside
- Leave it in the basket as you entrust it to Jesus for the time we are together.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Prayer Station Symbols
- Blue, patterned tablecloth, small white dove, earthen water jar representing the refreshing living waters of God the Holy Spirit
- Icon of Jesus offering a blessing known as Christ Pantocrator
- Wooden statue of Jesus the Good Shepherd carrying a lamb.
- He will feed His fold like a shepherd; He will gather together His lambs—the weak and the wobbly ones—into His arms. He will carry them close to His bosom, and tenderly lead like a shepherd the mother of her lambs. Isaiah 40:11 The Voice Bible
- Framed copy of Psalm 23.
- The Eternal is my shepherd, He cares for me always. He provides me rest in rich, green fields beside streams of refreshing water. He soothes my fears; He makes me whole again, steering me off worn, hard paths to roads where truth and righteousness echo His name. Psalm 23:1-3 The Voice Bible
- Candle representing the Light of Christ and the presence and power of the Holy Spirit
- Green plant representing the hope and promise of new life and growth
- Paper and pens for the writing project
- Three baskets- one for phones, one for watches and Fitbits, one for the writing project
Click Here for the printout of the instructions for the prayer station