In November of 2014, I read a blog post encouraging persons to set aside a bookshelf for all the books read in a calendar year. As the year goes by, you see the shelf filling and are reminded of time well spent. (I wish I could remember who to thank.)
The project was so rewarding in 2015, I continued it in 2016 and now 2017. I again and again find the process of adding books enjoyable and helpful. Sometimes you forget a really good book.
- If you read most of your books electronically, consider setting up a virtual bookshelf on Pinterest.
- Another option is to set up a profile on Goodreads. Be sure to fill in a start and end date for each book you complete.
- This year’s list includes books I read and books I listened to while traveling. There are wonderful, free audible books available through your local library and via streaming if you subscribe to Amazon Prime.
So my friends, here’s my 2017 bookshelf. I hope it encourages you and that you find a treasure or two. Should it be helpful to you, I’m glad to provide more feedback on specific selections. Just leave a comment below.
Happy reading. Happy exploring. Happy growing. – Lisa <><
I discovered Malcolm Gladwell this year. Wow!!!
Plus he narrates his own recorded books. Bonus!!!
- Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
- David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
- Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge by Dr. Henry Cloud
- Taking Flight! Mastering the DISC Styles to Transform Your Career, Your Relationships, Your Life by Merrick Rosenberg and Daniel Silvert
- That’ll preach! 5 Simple Steps to Your Best Sermon Ever by Charlie Reeb
- The Prodigal: A Ragamuffin Story by Brennan Manning and Greg Garrett
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
- Lowlands of Scotland Series, based on the Biblical story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel by Liz Curtis Higgs
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
- The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
- The Christmas Candle by Max Lucado
Memoirs and Biographies
- Have a Little Faith: A True Story by Mitch Albom
- A Simple Path by Mother Teresa
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- Committed: A Love Story by Elizabeth Gilbert
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
- The Zookeeper’s Wife: A War Story by Diane Ackerman
Bible Study and Theology
- Wesley and the Quadrilateral: Renewing the Conversation by by Ted A. Campbell, W. Stephen Gunter, Scott J. Jones, Randy L. Maddox, Rebekah L. Miles
- Salvation Through Judgment and Mercy: The Gospel According to Jonah by Brian D. Estelle
- Man Overboard! The story of Jonah by Sinclair B Ferguson
- The God We Can Know: Exploring the I AM Sayings of Jesus by Rob Fuqua
- Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ by Warren W. Wiersbe
- Commentary on James by Robert H. Gundry
- What to Do When You Don’t Know What to Do by Dr. David Jeremiah
- The Letter of James by Douglas Moo
Devotionals and Prayers
- Pray for Me by Tony Souder
- The Turquoise Table: Finding Community and Connection in Your Own Front Yard by Kristin Schell
- Fresh Expressions: A New Kind of Methodist Church for People Not in Church by Kenneth H. Carter Jr. and Audrey Warren
- Overflow: Increase Worship Attendance and Bear More Fruit by Lovett H. Weems Jr. and Tom Berlin
This year I focused on the sociology and justice issues surrounding the opportunity gap between classes. Heartbreaking and world changing. Do some good and get involved.
- An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an Eleven-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo
- Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis by Robert D. Putnam