Just after Easter 2010, I had the chance to take part in a Focused Living Retreat led by the Rev. Dr. Terry Walling. Terry is a pastor, author, and life coach. It was a powerful and wonderful experience. Terry was the one who first opened my eyes to the two parts of God’s calling to each of us: the call to be and the call to do. The call to be is who we are because of our relationship to God through Christ Jesus. The call to do is where we join Jesus in saving and transforming the world.
During the retreat, we had the chance to write a personal call to be, call to do, and values statement. While I have not become this statement fully, it has become both a compass and an anchor for me. I read it regularly to remind me who I am and whose I am. It’s important to me, so I wanted to share it with you. What is your mission? What do you value?
My First Order Call… the call to be
I am a woman after God’s own heart
- who sees with God’s eyes
- who speaks with God’s creative power
- who loves with God’s passion and grace
- whose agenda is from the center of God’s perfect will
- who is at home with God in all things: whole, holy, beloved
My Second Order Call… the call to do
- Midwife new life in people, congregations, and communities
My Core Values… the convictions I chose to live by
- Grace: God’s patient and unconditional love extended to all people, including me
- Authenticity: genuine, transparent, integrity in all things
- Faith: belief in God, trust in God, loyal to God at all times
- Transformation: God’s power to change people and situations
- Collaboration: we are better together
- Enthusiasm: the hope and joy of the Lord is our strength
- Growth: open to new ideas and to being taught, lifelong learning
You are welcome and encouraged to follow her writing here and on Instagram @revlisad.