In November of 2014, I read a blog post encouraging persons to set aside a bookshelf for all the books read in a calendar year. As the year goes by, you see the shelf filling and are reminded of time well spent. (I wish I could remember who to thank.)
The project was so rewarding I’ve continued it every year. I’ve found the process of adding books enjoyable and helpful. Sometimes you forget a really good book.
This year I read far fewer books than in years past. One reason was I wanted to study what I was reading for greater retention. I’ve also devoted more time to podcasts and online courses.
Then the pandemic hit. I wasn’t traveling so I wasn’t listening to audiobooks. But the big, truthful reason is I just didn’t have any bandwidth left for reading. Many blessings to those of you who found solace in reading during the pandemic. Many blessings to those of you, like me, who didn’t. Let’s be kind to each other, and to ourselves.
- If you read most of your books electronically, or through library loans, consider setting up a virtual bookshelf on Pinterest.
- Another option for a virtual bookshelf is to set up a profile on Goodreads. Be sure to fill in a start and end date for each book you complete. You can even set up a reading challenge for the year.
- My list includes books I read and books I listen to while traveling. (again, not much traveling this year) There are wonderful, free audiobooks available through your local library and via streaming if you subscribe to Amazon Prime.
So my friends here’s my 2020 bookshelf. I hope it encourages you and that you find a treasure or two. Should it be helpful to you, I’m glad to provide more feedback on specific selections. Just leave a comment below. Also, feel free to leave your book recommendations in the comments.
Happy reading. Happy exploring. Happy growing. – Lisa <><
- A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist
- The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Learning to Be: Finding Your Center After the Bottom Falls Out by Juanita Campbell Rasmus
- I Have Some Things to Tell You: A Pastor Says Goodbye During a Pandemic by Jenny Smith
- Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
- I Found My Tribe by Ruth Fitzmaurice
- My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir by Colleen Carroll Campbell
- In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White
Bible Study and Theology
- Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way fo Living by Rueben P. Job
- Listening at Golgotha: Jesus’ Words from the Cross by Peter Storey
- Jesus: A Pilgrimage by James Martin
- Taste and See: Discovering Jesus Among Butchers, Bakers, and Fresh Food Makers by Margaret Feinberg
Devotionals and Spiritual Practices
- The Inner Chapel: Embracing the Promises of God by Becky Eldredge
- Prayer: 40 Days of Practice by Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson
- Honest Advent: Awakening to the Wonder of God-with-Us Then, Here, and Now by Scott Erickson