Summary and reading of Acts 10, the story of Peter sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with Cornelius
This is a classic missionary story from the Bible
- Peter is well trained. He’s been walking with Jesus for 3 years and is now a leader of the early church. He prays and receives visions from God.
- Peter has a clear calling from God and has received an in-person invitation to travel to a foreign territory to share the Good News with people from another culture.
- Peter arrives and is immediately welcomed and accepted. He immediately proclaims the good news in a beautiful, eloquent, and theologically perfect way.
- The people immediately place their trust in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. They are immediately filled with the Holy Spirit and baptized.
- Peter and the believers who came with him stay a few days to further disciple the new believers.
This is like a 30-minute sitcom. Everything works out perfectly with a happy ending. It doesn’t usually work this way.
Often we are one small part of a long chain of spiritual encounters. Every part is important and valuable.
- Maybe we plant seeds, building relationship, and trust.
- Maybe we have the change to pray with someone or share a testimony.
- Maybe we are the ones to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
- Maybe we are the ones who encourage and disciple a person after they come to faith.
We need to know how to help at every point in the process, including how to share the Good News in graceful and simple ways.
Below you will find the drawings which accompany the explanation on the recording. This method of sharing the Good News is called The Bridge.
If you want to add scriptures to your explanation, consider using these passages from the book of Romans. They’re often called The Roman Road.
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
For a slightly different version of The Bridge by the Navigators entitled One Verse Evangelism, click here
I’m excited to now offer mp3’s of my Sunday messages. A huge thank you to Sean and my brothers and sisters at Trinity United Methodist Church, Sarasota for all their help in making this possible. If you’re ever in Sarasota, please drop by for worship Sundays at 9:00 am or 10:30 am, or join us live on our Facebook page at 9:00 am Sundays or drop by during the week for a chat or small group. You and those you love are always welcome.
sermon © 2018 Lisa Ann Moss Degrenia
Contact Lisa for posting and publication considerations.