Sermon Series: What is Church?
Message 1 of 6: Living Stones Built into a Spiritual House
Scriptures: 1 Peter 2:4-10
This message was offered Sunday, 4/22/18 at Trinity United Methodist Church, Sarasota Florida.
In this metaphor from 1 Peter, Jesus is the Cornerstone, at first rejected but later recognized as The Foundation for our salvation and the salvation of the world.
This message includes an extended discussion of the marble used by Michelangelo to carve his David. It was rejected multiple times before it became a masterpiece in the master’s hands.
As Jesus’ followers, his Church, we are living stones built into a spiritual house.
- We become the meeting place with God, individually and especially together.
- We take on our true identity and calling as Jesus’ chosen, royal, holy priesthood. make sacrifices worship and pray and serve proclaim/testify
- We recognize and testify that we are God’s children and that we’ve received the mercy of God. What we receive we can offer to others.
Look what God can do
- the rejected are now wanted
- the abandoned are now chosen
- those who have been named too flawed become a masterpiece
- those who are lost and wandering in inky darkness come into the marvelous, shimmering light of Jesus
I’m excited to now offer mp3’s of my Sunday messages. A huge thank you to Sean and my brothers and sisters at Trinity United Methodist Church, Sarasota for all their help in making this possible. If you’re ever in Sarasota, please drop by for worship Sundays at 9:00 am or 10:30 am, or join us live on our Facebook page at 9:00 am Sundays or drop by during the week for a chat or small group. You and those you love are always welcome.
sermon © 2018 Lisa Ann Moss Degrenia
Contact Lisa for posting and publication considerations.