Live Hope, Give Hope
A plan to share the goodness of Jesus this Christmas
This plan includes readings from Isaiah, Matthew, Luke, John, and Psalms plus a sentence prayer and action prompts to Help, Offer, Pray, or Encourage. Use this plan from December 1-31, 6 days per week. Adjust the plan so the 7th day falls on a Sunday.
December 1: Luke 1:5-25
Zechariah and Gabriel
Merciful God, you offer me new life. Help me receive it and believe it.
– Hold the door for people today and say to them what you’d want to hear.
December 2: Luke 1:26-38
Mary and Gabriel
Holy One, reveal my role in your saving work and give me the courage to say yes.
– Do one thing out of your comfort zone for someone.
December 3: Isaiah 9:2-7
Lord of Life, fill me with your hope and light!
– Celebrate the season of light. Decorate your home or a neighbor’s
December 4: worship and rest
December 5: Luke 1:26-38
Mary and the Holy Spirit
Power of the Most High, overshadow me and make your home in me.
– Tell three people that they’re valuable and needed
December 6: Luke 1:39-45
Mary Visits Elizabeth
Jesus, fill me with a spirit of hospitality so I may see and welcome all people as you do.
– Go out of your way today to make someone feel at home
December 7: Luke 1:46-56
Mighty God, open my lips with a witness to your just and saving power.
– Tell someone how God has changed your life
December 8: Luke 1:57-80
Holy Spirit, complete your saving work in my life and fill my mouth with praise.
– Say thank you to as many people as you can today
December 9: Matthew 1:1-17
Genealogy of Jesus
God of the Ages, help me to believe and respond to your plan, even when your plan is far beyond my imagining.
– Connect with one person today that it’s been too long
December 10: Isaiah 61:1-8
The Prophet Isaiah
Hallelujah to our Savior, our Healer, our Deliverer!
– Set three alarms to pray for someone’s salvation throughout the day
December 11: worship and rest
December 12: Matthew 1:18-25
Holy Comforter, you are near when my dream dies.
You are near the brokenhearted. Thanks be to you.
– Ask, “How can I help?” as many times as possible today
December 13: Matthew 1:18-25
God With Us
O come, O come Emmanuel, encourage me with the promise of your steadfast presence and love.
– Make invitations to Christmas Worship Services
December 14: Luke 2:1-7
Gift of Heaven, order my desiring and my time so I don’t miss you this season.
– Set aside 15 minutes to be quiet with Jesus
December 15: Luke 2:1-7
Jesus Is Born
O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray.
Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today.- Phillips Brooks
– Belly laugh with someone. Look for laughter and multiply it.
December 16: Luke 2:8-14
Angels and Shepherds
Son of Mary, Son of God, bring peace to all on earth.
– Call someone and sing your favorite Christmas song
December 17: Isaiah 11:1-11
The Prophet Isaiah
Prince of Peace, break down every dividing wall.
– Take 15 minutes to listen to someone different from you
December 18: worship and rest
December 19: Luke 2:15-20
The Shepherds’ Visit
We welcome you O Christ, long awaited Messiah.
We receive you with joy and pray others will as well.
– Tell as many people as you can that you love their smile
December 20: John 1:1-18
Jesus, the Word of God
Jesus, make me hungry for you and your word.
– Tape a Bible verse to your mirror to memorize this week
December 21: John 1:1-18
Jesus, the Word Made Flesh
Holy Christ, I sit in wonder before your willingness to be vulnerable so we might be saved.
– Make a sacrifice or take a risk today
December 22: Luke 2:21
Jesus is Circumcised
Heavenly Father, mark me, name me, claim me as your child.
– Wear something that identifies you as a follower of Christ
December 23: Luke 2:22-38
Simeon and Anna
Faithful God, grant me a persevering and active faith.
– Send three notes or texts encouraging perseverance
December 24: Matthew 2:1-12
Bright and Morning Star, lead me with your truth and light.
– Hug someone today and tell them, “God loves you!”
December 25: worship and rest
December 26: Matthew 2:1-12
The Wise Ones
Jesus, what am I really searching for?
– Take a quiet walk with God today asking, “What do you want from me?”
December 27: Matthew 2:1-12
King of Kings, receive the best I have, with all my adoration and love.
– Make a donation of money or items to a local charity
December 28: Matthew 2:13-15
Run for Your Life
Light of the World, protect all who are displaced by violence and evil.
Grant them a safe home.
– Find a map of the world and pray as you touch each country
December 29: Matthew 2:16-18
Lord of Life, hear our cry. Rescue your beloved.
Deliver us from bloodshed. End the madness.
– Write 12 notes saying, “You are so loved” and hide them at the grocery store, food court, library, etc. for people to find
December 30: Matthew 2:19-23
Returning from Egypt
Lord of Heaven and Earth, save me from my wandering. Lead me home.
– Pick a special spot in your home to do your devotions in 2017
December 31: Psalm 100
Prayer for New Year’s Eve
Holy Trinity, Eternal One, for the blessings of today, which remind us of the blessings of the past, which point forward to the blessings still to come we give you thanks.
Click Here for an example of how to turn this blog post into a printed brochure
Live Hope, Give Hope © 2016 Lisa Ann Moss Degrenia
You are welcome to use this work in devotional settings with proper attribution.
Please contact Lisa for information and permission to publish this work in any form.