Today we finish our journey through John. I am thankful for your companionship and look forward to new adventures together. Where should we go next? – Lisa <><
Gospel of John Reading Plan
Day 40 Reading: John 21:15-25
Bringing the Word to Life
Show the love of God by feeding the birds or other creatures that live in your community.
Pastor Lisa’s Journal
He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. – John 21:17 (NRSV)
Jesus restores Peter to relationship and leadership by asking Peter three times if he loves him. Peter says yes and Jesus instructs him to feed his sheep- to shepherd God’s people as Jesus had. Jesus then tells Peter that following him and serving him will take him places he does not want to go or expect to go. Finally, Jesus tells Peter to mind his own calling and not to worry or compare his calling to the calling of others.
The last two chapters of John illustrate the grace-filled journey of every Christ-follower.
- Jesus comes to us, unlocking the doors we hide behind, releasing us from our self-imposed prisons of chaos and fear
- Jesus comes to us in all our doubts, answering our hearts and minds with patience, peace and truth
- Jesus comes to us, calling us out of our old ways and habits and into a new and better life
- Jesus comes to us, drawing us out of the cold, dark waters of grief and disappointment to feed us and warm us
- Jesus comes to us, opening our eyes and hearts to the beauty, diversity and greatness of his plan
- Jesus comes to us, again and again and again, forgiving our failures, restoring us to right relationship,
- Jesus comes to us, empowering us and sending us out tend his Word and world so all might hear his good news come into his heavenly fold
Risen Christ, we bless your coming and welcome you again. Thank you for forgiving us and restoring us when we sin and stray. Keep our steps strong and sure on the journey with you. Empower us to welcome and serve and share with everyone we meet, as you have done for us. May the victory and grace of your Kingdom spread and grow, now and forever. Amen.
Click Here for another excellent reflection on this scripture by Dr. Steve Harper entitled A Fresh Start
For more information on the Gospel of John Reading Plan, click here
For more information on the art, scripture translation and the use of this post in other settings, please refer to the copyright information page.